Work With Us
Join the dynamic team at one of Southern California’s leading presenters and producers of world-class performing arts. La Jolla Music Society contributes to San Diego’s cultural vitality year-round through a rich variety of performing arts, including classical, jazz, contemporary, and global roots music, ballet, modern dance, speakers, and much more.
La Jolla Music Society is an equal opportunity employer.
Artistic Programming Manager
Reports to: Artistic Director
Supervises: Artist Liaison (part-time), SummerFest Seasonal Staff
Salary: $58,000 + Benefits
The Artistic Programming Manager oversees all logistics pertaining to visiting artists including managing travel, lodging, ground transportation, ancillary events, hospitality, and artist payments. Additional responsibilities include managing artist contracts, building the SummerFest rehearsal schedule, departmental database management, and working with the Production Manager to build day-of performance schedules as it pertains to the artist.
Areas of Responsibility:
• Oversees artist contracting and fulfillment of artist riders on performance days.
• Communicates with artist management to finalize travel, lodging, and scheduling details.
• Primary contact for artist managers leading up to performances.
• When needed, provides artist ground transportation to and from the airport, special events, and receptions.
• Manages hospitality budget. When needed, purchases and sets up green room hospitality.
• Manages artist complimentary ticket process for every performance.
• Arranges pre- and post-concert activities involving the artist (i.e. meet and greets, receptions, signings, etc.).
• Creates artist itineraries and works closely with the Production Manager on day of show schedules leading up to each performance.
• Updates and creates reports in ArtsVision pertaining to artist-related scheduling, including transportation, rehearsals, and ancillary events as well as artistic staffing needs.
• Manages and issues artist contracts, policies, schedules, welcome packets, and commission agreement paperwork for SummerFest, our annual chamber music festival.
• Supervises seasonal and part-time staff including the part-time Artist Liaison and additional SummerFest artistic staff.
• Works closely with the Artistic Programming Advisor to coordinate the music library, including obtaining and distributing necessary scores and parts.
• General accounting, including processing of artist-related invoices, writing and tracking check requests, and timely reporting to BMI/ASCAP.
• Assists Artistic Director and Artistic Programming Advisor with the budgeting process for SummerFest and Winter Season.
• Works in close collaboration with Artistic Director and Artistic Programming Advisor to secure venue holds, confirm dates and programming, and general artist inquiries.
• Builds SummerFest schedule in collaboration with the Artistic Programming Advisor, including rehearsals, ancillary activities, and artist arrivals and departures.
• Manages communication with artists and hosts throughout the SummerFest housing process.
• Serves as La Jolla Music Society representative at most concerts.
• Other projects as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree required. A degree in music or arts management is preferred.
• A minimum of three years of work experience in a related field
• Knowledge of classical music, jazz, and dance is preferred
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• High level of organization and attention to detail
• Valid driver’s license
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office software, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint
• Working understanding of database structure; experience with ArtsVision and Tessitura preferred
• Ability to work at La Jolla Music Society events is required, including nights and weekends, with a particularly full schedule during July and August for SummerFest.
• Ability to lift up to 30 lbs
Send resume and cover letter to
Leah Rosenthal, Artistic Director
La Jolla Music Society
7600 Fay Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. We will contact qualified individuals to set up interviews.
Looking to get involved with the many world-class performances at The Conrad Prebys Performing Arts Center? Join our lineup of volunteer ushers!
Ushers are an integral part of the La Jolla Music Society team, providing exceptional customer service to patrons at The Conrad and other major venues across San Diego. To share your time and talents with our artistic community, complete the New Volunteer Application and sign up for specific events utilizing the links below.